The format of the second IOCS meeting included:
- invited keynote lectures,
- presentations from various space agencies outlining the status of current and planned missions,
- several parallel breakout sessions related to the overarching theme of the IOCS meeting (Applications of Ocean Colour from Climate to Water Quality),
- a new event entitled “Visions and Hallucinations” where scientists can present highly innovative and provocative concepts in the field of ocean colour radiometry,
- the NASA Ocean Color Science Team (OCRT) meeting
- SeaDAS/BEAM workshop, and
- a large emphasis on poster presentations for participants to present their own research.